Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Dreaded Book List

Well I did it.  I made a New Year's resolution to read more.  Surprising?  No, because I know it is a common one but it might be surprising for those of you that know me better and know that I am not a reader AT ALL.  I want to read many books, we have a lot of books to read, but I just don't find it relaxing so at the end of a long day with 2 little kids it is not the first thing I want to do.  I am realizing though that I am missing out and I need to try to make it part of my day in whatever way that looks like.  So I made a list of books that I hope to get through this year.  One of them is the book "Don't Make Me Count to Three."  I am very encouraged to say I already finished it!  This is huge for me because I feel like I have very little time to read and I am a super slow reader.  I have found that I can read much faster on my lap top through Kindle so I am hoping to do more that way.  
I would totally recommend that any mom with young kids read this book.  It is a huge encouragement and challenge for those of us that are seeking to know when and how to discipline our kids as we are trying to train them in righteousness.  I learned so many things from this book and could apply them daily with our little SJ.  The biggest thing I took away from reading this was that I need to know the Bible better.  I need to know it better so I can love God more and worship Him but I also need to know it better so I can apply it to my parenting.  I need to speak the Word of God to my children as I am raising them.  I need to help them see that it is the reason I do what I do and it shapes and molds my thoughts and actions.  
Right now you can get this book for $3.99 through Amazon for your Kindle (and remember you don't have to have a Kindle but can put the Kindle app on your computer) and believe me it is worth way more!
I saw that this same author has a book on whining.  I might need to add that to my book list.  We have some whining issues going on around here! (no the issues are not with Andrew:)
I encourage you, whatever your stage in life, to make a book list.  Maybe its 3 books or more, whatever is practical for your life right now but have a plan and go after it.  I think it is one more way we can make the most of our time and seek ways to grow so we don't grow complacent.  Let me know if you have a book list and what you recommend reading.  I would love to hear!

No comments: