Monday, February 7, 2011

Day #18 Dust and Ashes

"I who am but dust and ashes." Genesis 18:27

This is what Abraham says to the Lord when he keeps making requests to save Sodom.  He goes from asking the Lord to not destroy the city if He can find 50 righteous people to 10 righteous people.  He keeps asking and goes down in number each time.  Before he asks at one point is when he says he is but dust and ashes.  Andrew is teaching Genesis to the youth group right now and this was a passage he taught recently.  He explained that Abraham was saying he was but a man.  He came from dust and he will die and be ashes.  This is such a simple phrase but I love that he sees who he is before the Lord.  It shows him humility.  I think this is a great reminder for me to have this same mindset when I go before God and ask anything of Him.  It is so easy to believe that I deserve certain things but really when I look at who I am in the light of who God is I too am but dust and ashes.  I pray that God will humble me with this verse.

It seems like this 30 day challenge may take me more like 40 days!  It was a hard weekend to be in the Word and I failed to make it a priority.  But I am back at it again early this morning looking to God to provide strength and discipline in this area of my life. 

I have observed something lately in my own life and see it in the lives of many women.  We are constantly overwhelmed by life.  I want to think on this more but if any of you have thoughts about this let me know what you think.  Why do we so easily get overwhelmed?  What can we do about it? 

No comments: