Thursday, June 30, 2011

Resolved Notes

I was so blessed by the Resolved Conference.  It was a special opportunity that I had to attend before our baby boy comes.  As a mom, I have had to sit out on a lot of sermons and Bible studies this year so it was nice to be able to listen to these sermons without any distractions and feed my soul.  I am so thankful that Andrew persuaded me to go and is looking after my spiritual growth.

As many of you know it is so easy to be encouraged by a conference or retreat and then you can easily walk away and forget what you learned or how you need to change.  I want to be a faithful steward of what God has taught me over the last weekend so I will be taking time each day to write down some notes from each sermon.  These posts are probably more for me than anyone else but I hope you will be encouraged by them as well and inspired to go to Resolved next year!

Rick Holland
Hebrews 12:1-3
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a could of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider Him who endured from sinners such hostility against Himself, so that you might not grow weary or fainthearted."

How Can I Get Traction in my Spiritual Life?

1.  Find the intended inspiration (v.1)  Remind yourself there are people who have done it.  The path has been paved-follow the trail.
2.  Eliminate every sin and distraction (v.1)  What is hindering your spiritual growth?  Can you identify that sin?  There needs to be a radical amputation of sin.  Are you running the race?  Are you tired?  Are you postponing obedience which really is disobedience?
3.  Concentrate your faith on Jesus (v.2)  He is the author and perfecter of our faith.  You can't look at the world and Jesus at the same time.  We so easily fill our mind with other things rather than Christ.
4.  Be motivated by the gospel (vs.2-3)  Jesus was rejected by all and still lived by faith.

How do we do this?

1.  Learn to compare.  Compare the world to Christ.
2.  Learn to meditate.  Feed your soul or faith will die.

*We must stop and think how much better Jesus is than sin*
*What is between you and Jesus?  What is the sin?*

No comments: